[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Fri Aug 16 11:45:42 UTC 2013
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On 16/08/2013 12:34, Andrew Wyatt wrote:

> RedHat --> Production Systems, with paid-for support, something goes wrong
> then I have some commercial comeback to get it fixed. High change control
> environment.
>
> CentOS --> QA, Development and Test Systems, and sometimes, non-critical
> infrastructure, community support, more roll-your-own fixes and
> workarounds. Less change control.
>

> You can also purchase production support for CentOS through OpenLogic.
>   Roll your own bug fixes aren't necessarily bad, especially when you are
> able to send them upstream so they benefit everyone.

While I agree that CentOS will always have support while it is community
driven, and has an upstream - without RedHat, no Centos... the truth of
the matter (when it comes to $$$):

CEO's and CTO's like to hear that their critical software is supported
by a company with a $10bn market cap. That is their indicator that
they're not relying on some fly by night, dead-end technology.
They also like to hear that our non-essential infrastructure is run on
software that is 'free' and mirrors the company they run their critical
software on.
I'm sure companies like OpenLogic do a good job, but it is difficult to
convince upper management that these companies are still going to be
around in 5-10 years time.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS