[CentOS] minimal X applications needed to export to remote server?

Fri Aug 16 15:35:12 UTC 2013

Joseph Spenner wrote:
> I'm running a piece of network backup software called 'bacula', on a
minimal CentOS 6.4 install.
> I got everything working pretty well, but there's one piece giving me
some problem-- a component which gives status info via a GUI.
> In the past, on previous installations, I could ssh to the bacula server
with the -X option, and run the application (called 'bat'), and it would
display back.  I'd have to make sure the sshd_config permits
Xforwarding, but that was all.

> On my new CentOS 6.4 minimal, I always get:
>
> bat: cannot connect to X server
>
> I tried the usual tricks of exporting the display to my system where I
want to see the GUI, which shouldn't be necessary anyway due to the 'ssh
-X', but I thought I'd give it a shot.  Still no go.

> I figured something was missing, since it is a minimal install, with no
X.   So I installed 'xlogo', thinking maybe all the X stuff needed to
display that would be installed.  By installing xlogo, I got a bunch of
X stuff, including:

> xorg-x11-apps-7.6-6.el6.x86_64
<snip>
I'd start out with yum groupinstall "X Window System"

    mark