[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Fri Aug 16 18:00:28 UTC 2013
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 08/16/2013 01:45 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> What about permitting redistribution? And if losing your RHN support
> as a consequence isn't a restriction that the "You may not impose any
> further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
> herein." covers, then what kind of restriction could that clause
> possibly mean?
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NoMilitary

While it's not been tested in a court of law, and I am not a lawyer, it
seems to me that if I were to redistribute a Red Hat binary RPM of a GPL
package that I might not have anything to worry about.  But I reserve
the right to be wrong, and this is not legal advice, and I'm not willing
to be a test case, either.

However, again, the aggregate work of the installable ISO is not under
the GPL, and so you would want to check with your own counsel as to the
advisability of redistributing the installable ISO.  As the GPL states
clearly: "In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work
under the scope of this License. "