[CentOS] k3b -> cddb doesn't work

Sun Aug 18 20:13:20 UTC 2013
Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>

ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  As late as November 2012 I always used the CLI
> for copying *data* CDs, using cdrecord and readcd.  But though I read
> and studied manpages and scads of documentation, I never had any luck
> cloning a music CD using these commands.  So I'd doubt I could figure
> out on my own, in addition to cloning a CD, adding in the song titles etc.

Are you using recent original software or are you using an outdated, dead
and defective fork that is distributed by some non-OpenSource oriented
Linux sources?

If you are using this bad fork that is from September 2004 - 9 years ago, you
suffer from many problems, like incomplete documentation and many bugs  that
cannot be found in the original software.

> I guess I wasn't clear about ripping a CD.  Grip, as I said handles this
> fine, including downloading the cddb data.  So if I wanted to create wav
> (or ogg or other) files, I could use grip.  But for some CDs, a series
> of wav files just doesn't play back well; I'm talking about music in
> which one track blends into the following track with no break in
> between.  These don't play back well because audio players insert a
> break (perhaps because they need a second or so to load that second
> track) and, in addition, often this break isn't in a good moment.  So
> I've decided to just burn the entire CD to avoid hearing the breaks.  So
> is it even possible to save the cddb data to a copied CD?

Programs like grip and cdparanoia don't care about the usability of the
extracted files for later burning tasks and they are not able to extract so
called "un-CDs".

cdda2wav knows about the writing process, feteches cddb data and includes a
bug-fixed libparanoia.

Recent man pages also contain several related examples. Did you read a recent
manpage and follow the EXAMPLE section?

Jörg