[CentOS] k3b -> cddb doesn't work

Wed Aug 21 16:35:47 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So if you want your software to be used by the majority of Linux
>> distros without license-related hiccups, you can always just re-license
>> it to GPL and everyone will be happy.
>
> You seem to be missinformed: When cdrtools have been 100% GPL, it was attacked
> by Debian _because_ it was 100% GPL and because the GPL is a frequently
> missinterpreted license.
>
> ...so I decided to choose a less problematic license than the GPL.

The GPL is designed to restrict distribution of combinations of things
that are not all-GPL if any component is GPL.  So any other license is
equally problematic as long as GPL components might exist.   The 'less
problematic' solution is dual licensing like perl uses unless you want
to apply restrictions one way or the other.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com