[CentOS] USB Audio sound card

Fri Aug 23 00:43:16 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 03:11:39PM -0400, Glenn Eychaner wrote:
> All-
>
> Ah, the saga of the 1U workstation continues. So, in all my work configuring
> the thing, I completely forgot about AUDIO; I only realized my mistake when I
> went on a cable-measuring expedition this morning.  Unfortunately, none of the
> 1U servers I've been looking at come with audio outputs (there aren't even
> audio headers on the motherboard), and I've used the only availabnle slot for
> my fancy graphics card!
>
> Now, a lesser (or maybe smarter) individual would give up at this point, and
> "Nay!" I say.  What about USB Audio? I don't need 5.1 or 7.1 audio here; I'm
> plugging in a Dell monitor soundbar.  A quick search of the web says that yes,
> these devices will work under CentOS and show up as /dev/dspX devices. So, do
> devices like these:
>
> SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186035

for this one, here are the customer review pages that mention Linux:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-186-035&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=linux&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

> Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Interface Sound Card & Headset Adapter
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118008

and here are the linux customer reviews for the turtle beach:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-118-008&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=linux&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

> StarTech ICUSBAUDIO USB to Stereo Audio Adapter Converter
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128002
and for the startech one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-128-002&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=linux&Page=1#scrollFullInfo