[CentOS] Is X79 Motherboard supported by latest "Centos 5.9" version?

Sat Aug 24 19:07:46 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Steve Brooks <steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi Guys, In a bit of a pickle.. Is anyone running the latest "Centos 5.9"
> or earlier version with an Intel X79 based motherboard. I have a server
> which needs the motherboard replacing asap and I have a spare "Sabertooth
> X79". I have a machine with a "Sabertooth X79" motherboard to test on
> which boots up fine on on "Centos 5.9 i386" image from the troubled
> server. However the output from "lspci" (see below) seems far less
> descriptive than you normally see in "Centos 5" or "Centos 6". I am just a
> bit worried that this might imply lack of support. I do not need

I'm not familiar with the Sabertooth X79, so specifics there are better
suited for someone else.

Though the lack of detail in the newer board might be more apparent if we
had output from both systems to compare.

> audio/firewire.. but need the essential to work memory, sata etc. Also I
> thought "i386" installs could not see more than 3 and a bit Gigs of ram?
> The test machine has 32G and meminfo shows
>
> MemTotal:      3574676 kB
> MemFree:       3146556 kB

Are you using a PAE kernel?
If you want access to the additional memory above ~3.5GB you'll need a PAE
kernel.

CentOS 5 i386 has both non-PAE and PAE kernels.
CentOS 6 i386 only has kernels with PAE support.

Take a peek at the output from uname to find out what kernel you're running.

--
Mike