[CentOS] nfs4, idmapd, users with same name, different uid?

Wed Aug 28 18:10:04 UTC 2013
natxo asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>

On 08/28/2013 06:04 PM, Barbara Krasovec wrote:
> On 8/28/13 11:29 AM, natxo asenjo wrote:

>> for nfsv4 it is my understanding you need a central user store like ldap
>> or nis (but don't use nis) or synchronize your password file to
>> eternity. I do not have a centos nfs server (or a linux one, for that
>> matter, what I want from nfsv4 are mainly the extended acls and those
>> are not there until somebody wakes up and merges the richacl patch into
>> the mainstream kernel), only clients, but they work fine using nfsv4 to
>> both netapp  as zfs (omnios) filers.
>>
>> Both the clients as the filers are configured to lookup up users in ldap
>> (ipa in our case).
>>
>> I have no experience with idmapd in linux, but in solaris and netapp it
>> gets ugly quite easily :-)
>>
> It also works with same UID-s on server/client, just setting the
> domainname in idmapd.conf. Ldap is not obligatory.

that's why I wrote 'synchronize your password file to eternity' ;-)

But really, don't do that, use a central store. Much easier unless you
have a very very tiny network (but those tend to grow unexpectedly).

--
groet,
natxo