[CentOS] ZFS on Linux testing effort

Lists

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Dec 3 18:38:07 UTC 2013

Andrew,

We've been testing ZFS since about 10/24, see my original post (and
replies) asking about its suitability "ZFS on Linux in production" on
this list. So far, it's been rather impressive. Enabling compression
better than halved the disk space utilization in a low/medium bandwidth
(mainly archival) usage case.

Dealing with many TB of data in a "real" environment is a very slow,
conservative process; our ZFS implementation has, so far, been limited
to a single redundant copy of a file system on a server that only backs
up other servers.

Our next big test is to try out ZFS filesystem send/receive in lieu of
our current backup processes based on rsync. Rsync is a fabulous tool,
but is beginning to show performance/scalability issues dealing with the
many millions of files being backed up, and we're hoping that ZFS
filesystem replication solves this.

This  stage of deployment is due to be in place by about 1/2014.

-Ben