[CentOS] SOHO colour laser printer recommendations

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 01:31:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'd really appreciate some recommendations for colour laser printers for
> use with CentOS. It's for light home use with CentOS 5 and CentOS 6
> systems.
>
> Must have:
>
> 1. Colour. Quality not that important as mainly for kids school project
> type of stuff.
> 2. Ethernet connectivity - want something I can plug into the network
> 3. Cheap running costs - don't want to be spending a fortune on toner
> 4. Linux support
>
> I have very little experience with printing on Linux. I'm assuming I
> want a laser with Postscript and/or PCL emulation, and Linux driver
> support (still not sure exactly what I should be looking for here).
>
> Top of my very short list at present is:
>
> Brother HL-4140CN at £167
>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL4140CN-Network-Colour-Printer/dp/B0047753F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386105929&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+hl-4140cn
>
> I'd appreciate any other recommendations people might have.

Close to two years ago I picked up a HP Laserjet CP1525nw for around $150
US when it was on sale.  Ethernet and wireless connectivity.  I don't know
of any toner cartridges that are cheap, but then again I don't print all
that much (and when I do it's mostly black and white).

The last time I set up printing on a Linux machine I used the generic HP
PCL6 driver (whereas before I chose a LJ15xx driver).

At work we have a hodge podge of HP [older] Laserjets, Ricoh, and Xerox.

> Thanks!

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //