[CentOS] SOHO colour laser printer recommendations

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Dec 4 18:46:08 UTC 2013

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013, Ned Slider wrote:
>>
>>I'd really appreciate some recommendations for colour laser printers for
>>use with CentOS. It's for light home use with CentOS 5 and CentOS 6
>> systems.
>>
>>Must have:
>>
>>1. Colour. Quality not that important as mainly for kids school project
>>type of stuff.
>>2. Ethernet connectivity - want something I can plug into the network
>>3. Cheap running costs - don't want to be spending a fortune on toner
>>4. Linux support
>>
>>I have very little experience with printing on Linux. I'm assuming I
>>want a laser with Postscript and/or PCL emulation, and Linux driver
>>support (still not sure exactly what I should be looking for here).
>>
>>Top of my very short list at present is:
>>
>>Brother HL-4140CN at £167
>>
>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL4140CN-Network-Colour-Printer/dp/B0047753F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386105929&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+hl-4140cn
>>
>>I'd appreciate any other recommendations people might have.
>
> First off I would stay away from HP printers.  As others have
> said, they used to make quality products (I have an HP 4M+ that's
> been going since November 1995), but the current ones aren't very
> good.  I bought a new CP2025DN which worked nicely until my wife
> managed to break something in the duplexer while loading paper,
> and HP wouldn't sell the parts to the shop to repair it.  The 4
> toner cartridges also cost over $100USD each.
<snip>
Our CP 3525dn's, the first of which showed up around '10, are reliable
workhorses. BUT: I do *NOT* buy OEM toner cartridges. Get replacement
compatibles online - they're half to a third the cost, and I've only had
one or two be defective (out of dozens).*

My LJ1018, bought in '08, is small, cute, and reliable. No problems (I
didn't say anything, this isn't hubris....)<g>

        mark

* And the next person who announces that everyone who works for the US fed
gov't as an employee or contractor is free with tax money, I have one of
two defective ones sitting around that I'd like to shove down his throat.