[CentOS] died again

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Dec 5 06:02:35 UTC 2013

On 12/4/2013 8:00 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> As my measurement data in the post I just sent hints, there are serious practical problems -- aside from the direct economic ones -- that restrict the utility of such high-purity alcohols.  There's probably no point using it outside a cleanroom.  Dust on the glassware will wreck the purity rating otherwise.

alcohol much higher than ~ 90%  is hydroscopic and will absorb humidity
from the air until it reaches the azeotriopic place where its happy.

seriously, its a heat spreader, youre gonna be spreading silicone paste
on.   any old alcohol will work fine, don't use /too/ much, just dampen
the wipes with it, repeat with clean wipes til the surface is clean, air
dry in a few seconds, then apply fresh arctic silver v or whatever.
frankly, for servers, I prefer using the plain white classic thermal
silicone stuff, its less conductive, and servers usually have plenty of
air and cooling, you're not overclocking them.