[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

Sorin Srbu Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Thu Dec 5 10:22:43 UTC 2013

It might be considered that, it was a cheap solution. Not necessarily the best
one.

> you said RAID card, then you talk about JBOD?   which is it.

Primarily RAID.

> the LSI SAS 920x family should work just fine at this.   if it didn't
> you got cabling problems.

Thank you for the hint. The setup worked fine with Windows 2012 R2, which saw
both card and disks and was able to create a raid0-array for testing.
CentOS 5/6 didn't for some reason.

> at centos install time, you don't create a single big software raid out
> of anything, you create mirrors for your OS root and /boot file systems,
> then after the system is running, you create your big raid 10 or
> whatever as your data volume, make that LVM, put /home and /var on it if
> you want, whatever.

I apologize for any confusion. For linux-servers I usually install CentOS on a
separate system disk, with user-data on another separate disk or as in this
case on the other ten drives which are to form a single raid-array.

--
//Sorin