[CentOS] ADMIN issue - manitu

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Dec 5 18:19:53 UTC 2013

Actually, Manitu, also known as NIXSpam, is quite a good list. I've been
using only this one and Spamhaus for years. Very good FP:Spam ratio.

I, too, had an issue with the list lately and contacted the maintainer of
the project who gave me a good explanation of why Facebook servers may be
listed on it (they don't stop sending to discontinued users that have been
bouncing for at least half a year).

If the mailserver of your provider sends spam it's absolutely fine to put
it on the list. Or, in other words, that's what the list is for in the
first place. If Hostmonster feels that there is only few spam running over
their servers and they cannot get this down to zero (which is reasonable)
then they can contact them and ask to be put on the whitelist.

I don't know what you mean by "My hosting provider works with those jerks
at manitu". Does your hosting provider use them to block you? Or does he
work with them to resolve the issue?

> selfip.biz

I don't see the relevance. You should provide the URL, so one could
actually check the headers of the mail (it doesn't list the content) and
decide if it could have been spam. If it indeed was spam (either by
content or by definition) I don't see what's wrong with putting it on the
list according to list policy.
selfip.biz is actually a domain they use for their spamtraps. So, this
mail was sent to a spamtrap. One could argue whether a mailserver should
send to hostname.selfip.biz at all as it may be not be a real mailserver
(but you don't know). But that's a different story.

Most of the time RBLs are fine as long as people don't get on them
themselves :-)

Kai