[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 VirtualBox

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 23:59:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> Not arguing with you, but... I recall hearing probably only a couple
> years ago that not all the contemporary Intel processors exposed that
> option, so you couldn't use it on some processors. The writer of that
> blurb reported no obvious rhyme or reason why one would have it but
> another wouldn't.

Some laptop and desktop bios's disable it even if the CPU would
otherwise support it.  Some have an option setting, some don't.

> And on the topic of VirtualBox, I can't get 4.3 to work right on my
> system (AMD Phenom II X2) which DOES have the virtual extensions enabled
> in the BIOS. It kept complaining that it wasn't enabled (or maybe did
> not exist, I can't recall exactly). Apparently some motherboards and/or
> chipsets work differently in re how they expose the feature, and
> the newest VB couldn't see it.

Does 'cat /pro/cpuinfo' show vtx (or svm on AMD)?

> So I stayed with the 4.2 series which
> more or less does work. (tho it still refuses to let me run a 64-bit
> Linux on VB even though I'm running Centos 64-bit and a 64-bit VB.)
> Go figure.

That means it is not using hardware virtualization - you can do 32-bit
in software.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com