[CentOS] died again

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Dec 7 08:14:33 UTC 2013

On 12/6/2013 11:09 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I noticed the TPM 1.2 .
> Am I going have to start dealing with the "trusted"
> computing crap when I get another computer?

TPM is totally optional to use.

it can be used so your system can establish a chain of trust with a
server or network or whatever, but there's absolutely no requirement to
use it.    it also can be used as a trust store for secureboot and full
disk encryption... If the OS has been secured this way, and you reset
the TPM via the BIOS, you will have to reformat the disks to use them.

we looked at TPM for authenticating unattended clients making ssl
connections, but getting all that working just so seemed a little too
sketchy so we abandoned the idea.