[CentOS] CentOS6 xinetd failure

Lars Hecking

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 10 10:37:28 UTC 2013

 One thing I have noticed on CentOS6 is that rsync via xinetd never
 works after a reboot. It always takes an additional, post-reboot
 service xinetd restart to get it going. That has been the same for
 all revisions up to and including 6.5, and I've seen it on more than
 just machine.

 While I don't see such a message on other problem machines, the latest
 reboot gave me a clue:

Dec  9 23:28:36 host xinetd[21131]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = rsync
Dec  9 23:28:36 host xinetd[21131]: Service rsync failed to start and is deactivated.

 Is there any way to debug this? I suspect it needs to be debugged
 during reboot since the service starts up fine later.