[CentOS] Do I need a dedicated firewall?

Jason T. Slack-Moehrle

slackmoehrle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 05:00:25 UTC 2013

Hi All,

So my electricity bill is through the roof and I need to pair down some
equipment.

I have a CentOS 6.5 Server (a few TB, 32gb RAM) running some simple web
stuff and Zimbra. I have 5 static IP's from Comcast. I am considering
giving this server a public IP and plugging it directly into my cable
modem. This box can handle everything with room for me to do more.

Doing this would allow me to power down my pfSense box and additional
servers by consolidating onto this single box.

I have the firewall on on the server and only allowing the few ports I need.

I dont run ssh on 22

What do you guys think?

Jason