[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 14:40:51 UTC 2013

On 12 December 2013 14:06, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > By the same logic you could argue that a text editor is not required
> > for a bare minimum --- namely, you can always use cat and echo from the
> > command line to "edit" the config files.
> >
> > The point of the text editor in a minimal installation is to make life
> > easier for a sysadmin. The point of NetworkManager is the same --- it
> > is included so that you don't have to "just set your ifcfg-eth0
> > scripts".
>
> I disagree. NetworkManager is fine... on a laptop, where you're going to
> be moving it from network to network. For a wired network - that is, for
> any server (remember the "Enterprise" part of the name?) - it's utterly
> unnecessary. And it wall worked fine before NM. And NM has caused problems
> on occasion, before we just turned the thing *off*.

The NetworkManager in EL6 is pretty poor - everyone knows that.

The NetworkManager in F19/20 (and EL7) is a vastly different beast with
most of the reasons for disabling it in EL6 (bonding, bridging, vlans, etc)
no longer being an issue.

Remember that the standard network service is literally source the relevant
ifcfg-*, rule-* or route-* file and then using the variables just sourced
run shell scripts calling ip addr, ip link, ip route, ip rule, etc to get
the system into the state you want.

One of the drivers behind systemd in the beginning was to avoid arbitrary
shell scripts configuring the system and resulting in the potential for
confusion with selinux contexts and inherited environments when directly
run by a user...

With NM handling the connection the correct details are obtained and then
through the netlink APIs the interfaces configured as per the state desired
without shell scripts and forking all over the place...

Read through the networking documentation, fire up a EL7 system and give it
an honest try:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html-single/Networking_Guide/index.html