[CentOS] Automatic network speed test and reporting

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Thu Dec 12 16:22:20 UTC 2013

The ISP that I do some occasional work for is planning to roll out a new and much faster Internet service, and as such they will be coming here on Monday to upgrade my connection so I can test and play with it for a few weeks before they roll it out for the general public.

It would be convenient if I could set up a cron job that would run some sort of an upload/download speed test from me back to one of their central office servers (or somewhere else in the big scary world, I suppose, though I suspect they will be more interested in the connection from here to another point on their own network) on a regular basis throughout the day, and then generate a nice report of some kind that I could then email to the technical services folks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like this?