[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:10:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Am 12.12.2013 um 22:35 schrieb SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Leon Fauster <
> leonfauster at googlemail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> that is really an issue for us because we use EL for some small i586 hw
> (router etc.).
> >
> > Indeed.
> > Now RHEL/CentOS won't be able to run on PC Engines ALIX hardware (with
> PAE
> > enabled in CentOS 6 the kernel needed recompiled, but that's not too
> > horrible).  I opted to run another distro, so I never went through all
> the
> > work for ALIX hardware.
>

> yep. the same hw here. i had tested openwall os some years ago. They have
> some correlation
> with rhel. Rebuilding rpms from EL should be straight forward but it will
> lead to more work :-)

I have some old embedded boards (older than ALIX) lying around I figured
I'd lab with...
Go figure I had to recompile kernels in order to enable support for certain
chips/devices.

> > In a way it's a shame...
> > At the same time I can see why RH is going x86_64 only ... much hardware
> in
> > data centers is 64bit capable and running 64bit OSes.
> >
> > And they're also will be supporting three releases (5, 6, 7) for a period
> > of time as well.
> >
> > It's probably a good time to consider other alternatives. :-/
> > Fedora, Debian, Voyage, OpenWrt, Gentoo, etc, etc.
>
> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
>

> > Unless it's embedded hardware ... by the time EL6 isn't supported I'll be
> > you'll have a beefier x86_64 machine as a firewall! :)
>
> any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe a Soekris board with Intel Atom CPUs can get you the
64-bit CPUs you want.  But no ... once you get through the models that have
AMD Geode LX CPUs (which are 486/586) you stumble into models that have
Intel Atom CPUs that are in the E6xx family which are not 64-bit capable.
 And boy are the upper-end models a bit salty (might be a bit cheaper from
a distributor/reseller).

You could build a mini-ITX system ... but you'd probably quadruple power
consumption (~5w for Geode LX800 systems and likely ~20w for Atom systems).

Sorry :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Atom_microprocessors

http://soekris.com/products/net6501-30-board-case.html
http://soekris.com/products/net6501-50-board-case.html