[CentOS] Weblogic logging to syslog?

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 01:22:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All.
>

> I have a setup in which:
>
> - applications deployed in weblogic log directly to weblogic;
>
> - components of weblogic (domain, admin server, managed servers) log to
> proper files (default logging).

I don't use "Weblogic" so I won't be much help.
But...

> I would like to connect logging to syslog server. Is it possible? As I have
> read it is possible to log from applications with log4j if they send logs
> to weblogic server (on weblogic level configured in
> domain_root/lib/log4j.xml or log4j.properties). But is it possible to log
> from weblogic components  (domain, admin server, managed servers) to log4j

... this sounds like an Oracle question (since I'm guessing you're using
the Oracle Weblogic application server).

> and through it to syslog? Are there any other options than pointing syslog
> to read from logfiles generated on disk by weblogic?

Based on a quick Google Search I found [0] [1].  They indicate you'll need
to configure log4j to syslog its messages.  You can choose to store them on
the local machine with its syslog daemon (rsyslog if CentOS 6.x) _OR_
syslog to another 'central' syslog server (or both).

[0] https://forums.oracle.com/message/9649165
[1] http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11035_01/wls100/logging/config_logs.html

> There is much info on the web and I'm quite confused. Thanks for all help.

The biggest hurdle is what can/should be configured with log4j ... and
unless we have a Oracle Weblogic admin on this list we won't have an answer
here. :-(

> Best regards,
>
> Rafal.

Mike