[CentOS] Serial Console Config in 6.5

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 01:29:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Michael Lampe
<lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de>wrote:

> Camron W. Fox wrote:
>
> > After upgrading from 6.4 to 6.5, our serial console configuration non
> > longer work. We have the following upstart file: ...
>
> According to the comments in /etc/init/serial.conf you shouldn't have a
> /etc/init/ttyS0.conf or do anything to /etc/securetty. This is all
> handled automatically. You just add 'console=tty0 console=ttySX,YZ' to
> the kernel line in grub and that's it.

+1
-- passing serial params to the kernel in grub.conf should be all it takes
with the CentOS 6 initscripts

In the past I incorrectly configured both and they fought (caused a
feedback loop).  Tail /var/log/secure and you'll find invalid logins every
couple of seconds if you have this type of feedback loop. :)

In most of my cases, the feedback loop only seemed to begin when I
disconnected from the serial console (Serial over LAN).

> I did it like this a couple of days ago on 6.5. Works as advertised for
> me but I have never used a serial console before.

If you want Linux kernel boot output redirected to serial, the grub.conf
modifications are necessary.  BUT if you just want a getty listening once
the machine is fully booted, a separate serial initscript is worthwhile.

> -Michael

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //