[CentOS] Does LibreOffice need to be patched to remove upstream "supplied by" text?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Dec 23 21:10:34 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 07:37 AM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> I just noticed that if I click "Help / About" in LibreOffice Writer (and
> likely other LibreOffice apps), I see:
>
> This release was supplied by Red Hat, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2000 - 2013 LibreOffice contributors and/or their affiliates
> LibreOffice was based on OpenOffice.org
>
> I know several packages are patched to remove ambiguity as to who
> supplied the package; should this be one of them?

I can remove that it, but technically that statement is correct.  Red
Hat did provide that compilation and those options.

That is not stating that there is any support being provided by Red Hat,
nor is it saying that the package belongs to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

If Red Hat wants us to take it out, we can ... but I see it as providing
credit for creating the compilation and not claiming ownership or
stating a distribution it is part of.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes