[CentOS] CentOS & eclipse

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu Dec 26 19:48:51 UTC 2013

---- John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 12/26/2013 10:50 AM, Steve wrote:
> > My understanding was that CentOS was generally about a year out-of-date.
>

> When a major RHEL version is released, the major.minor versions of most
> all components are frozen for the life cycle of that major release, this
> ensures package compatability, so if something is released for EL6 it
> can expect to run with any EL6.x update.

OK, so since RHEL 6.0 was released on 11/10/2010, we get eclipse 3.6 which was released on 6/23/2010 (according to Wikipedia)
and we can only get 3.6.x updates until RHEL 7.0 is release. If RHEL 7.0 was released today, eclipse would jump to 4.3 (ignoring any other complications) which was released on 6/26/2013.

Got it.
Thanks