[CentOS] dd ?

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 19:55:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Jorge Fábregas
<jorge.fabregas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/2013 07:08 AM, hadi motamedi wrote:
>> how can I install clonezilla on my centos machine to try cloning my
>> disk?
>
> Hi,
>
> You don't have to install it.  Clonezilla it's a Live CD: you boot from
> it, do your thing and you're done.  It's way better than using dd
> because it's filesystem-aware and will only copy the used bits.

      I have never used clonezilla's GUI. Hmmm, maybe I had but never noticed.

      To the OP, clonezilla is in a different level than dd. Yes, it
can copy a local drive partition to another local drive partition, but
it can also copy, say, and entire drive -- logical volumes included --
into images in another machine using ssh while keeping the different
partitions separated. And, as Jorge said, only copying what was
changed.