[CentOS] Problem upgrading from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5

Mon Dec 2 17:35:37 UTC 2013
Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu>

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Gilbert Sebenste
> <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I had an issue with one of three servers upgrading from 6.4 to 6.5. It did
>> not have the CR repo enabled.
>>
>> It failed dueing install, but I didn't catch the error (bad, bad, I know).
>> OK, so it told me to run yum-complete transaction. After going through and
>> figuring out what it had to do, it stops with this error:
>>
>> (etc, etc...)
>> Error: Trying to remove "yum", which is protected
>>   You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>
> Is that error from running yum-complete-transaction?   If not, install
> yum-utils and run yum-complete-transaction.  If it is,  I think it
> means that your rpmdb shows 2 versions of yum installed and it is
> refusing to fix it.   I'd try a 'yum update yum' to make sure you
> really have the latest, then 'rpm -q yum' to see if it shows 2
> versions installed, then 'yum remove' the full package-version name of
> the older one.  And if yum still refuses, try 'rpm -e' with the older
> package version.

Hello Les and Thomas,

OK. I got rid of the duplicate packages, ran yum-complete-transaction,
and then rebooted. It is now stuck on the CentOS logo/splash screen,
instead of booting into gnome. Any ideas? I can log into the box, most
software is running.

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste                                                    ********