[CentOS] Problem upgrading from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5

Mon Dec 2 17:59:47 UTC 2013
Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu>

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Gilbert Sebenste
> <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> OK. I got rid of the duplicate packages, ran yum-complete-transaction,
>> and then rebooted. It is now stuck on the CentOS logo/splash screen,
>> instead of booting into gnome. Any ideas? I can log into the box, most
>> software is running.
>
> If you hit escape when the splash screen starts, can you tell which
> service startup is hanging?

It starts all the services, and what's in rc.local, but has some sort of
X11 error. I went to /etc/X11 to try to remove the xorg.conf file so that
it would recreate a new one, but I don't see one. I don't know for sure
if it's X or Gnome that's shot at this point. Log files don't help me
much except for the X11 error. I went and also erased .X1 and .X2.lock
files to see if that would help; nada.

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste                                                    ********