[CentOS] died again

Tue Dec 3 21:45:44 UTC 2013

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Michael Hennebry wrote:

>> much - the force of tightening the heat sink will spread it much
farther than

>>> "the force of tightening the heat sink" frightens me silly,
>>> but I suppose that would be better than a dead CPU fan.
>>> My recollection is that that does not come off.
>>
>> Not to worry. It will probably be a lever that you push down and it
>> catches. I doubt it's like in some servers, where you screw it on... and
>> even in that case, you screw it till you feel it stop turning.
>
> I found my fans and am about to get some thermal
> grease and a megohm resistor for static discharge.
> Sometime today or tomorrow I will likely
> open the case with fear and trepidation.
> The sides and top of the case are metal, but painted with an insulator.
> The front is plastic.
> The back is metal.
> I expect I should touch that before opening the case.
> What about after?  Is there something else I
> should touch before trying to edit its guts?

Don't worry. Things are a *lot* less static-sensitive. If you really need
grounding, touch a water or gas pipe.

> If thermal grease is the problem,
> how do I find out and how do I clean off the old stuff?

You can start with a paper towel. The FE who was in a month or so ago used
an alcohol prep pad.

> I've read that just adding more is not a good idea.
> If I add to much thermal paste, what do I do about it?

I'm still working on "how much". I'd say put a squirt in the middle. Make an

CPU
______
|     |
| OO  |
|_____|

Maybe a little more. Don't make a deep puddle - you're just smearing some
on. Ever put anti-seize on your spark plugs?
<snip>
           mark