[CentOS] ADMIN issue - manitu

Thu Dec 5 20:02:30 UTC 2013
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 05/12/13 19:25, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> On 05/12/13 18:19, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>>> Actually, Manitu, also known as NIXSpam, is quite a good list. I've been
>>> using only this one and Spamhaus for years. Very good FP:Spam ratio.
>>>
>>> I, too, had an issue with the list lately and contacted the maintainer
>>> of the project who gave me a good explanation of why Facebook servers may
>>> be listed on it (they don't stop sending to discontinued users that have
>>> been bouncing for at least half a year).
>>>
>>> If the mailserver of your provider sends spam it's absolutely fine to
>>> put it on the list. Or, in other words, that's what the list is for in the
>>> first place. If Hostmonster feels that there is only few spam running
>>> over their servers and they cannot get this down to zero (which is
>>> reasonable) then they can contact them and ask to be put on the whitelist.
>>>
>>> I don't know what you mean by "My hosting provider works with those
>>> jerks at manitu". Does your hosting provider use them to block you? Or
> does he
>>> work with them to resolve the issue?
>
> They do work with them, and they don't like manitu, either. Btw, I was
> told a few months ago that there's some fee involved for removing a
> mailhost.

>>> I don't see the relevance. You should provide the URL, so one could
>>> actually check the headers of the mail (it doesn't list the content) and
>>> decide if it could have been spam. If it indeed was spam (either by
>>> content or by definition) I don't see what's wrong with putting it on
>>> the list according to list policy.
>
> Right, but given what whois reports, for all I know, it's somebody with a
> home business that can't/won't even afford their own static IP reporting
> this. This suggests that it could be one person getting a bunch of spam,
> and blocking everyone else by reporting it a few times.
>
>>> selfip.biz is actually a domain they use for their spamtraps. So, this
>
> Ok, thanks for that info.
> <snip>
>> The problem here is that Mark is using a shared hostmonster smtp server
>> to relay outbound mail, and from time to time they relay spam and get
>> blacklisted for it. We've experienced a similar thing from time to time
>> where we have a server hosted with hostmonster that sends out
>> notification emails which are relayed via shared hostmonster mail
>> servers, and occasionally we get bounce notifications where
>> hostmonster's outbound relays are blacklisted (I have mostly noticed
>> them being blacklisted by SpamCop).
>
> Perfect description.
>>
>> If it's important I'd suggest not using shared resources for your
>> outbound mail. If you use a dedicated server (with it's own IP) for
>> outbound mail you will know it's clean and hopefully not get
>> blacklisted. You get what you pay for.
>
> Right, and since I'm NOT running a business - I broke down and got the
> domain when I was about to relocate for the THIRD TIME in < 10 years
> [...]

You are still completely missing the point. It doesn't matter what YOU
think makes sense. It's totally irrelevant. I run a mail server. My
server, my rules. If I want to use a black list that's my choice. You
get blocked, tough, you are collateral damage. It doesn't matter what
you think - it doesn't even matter if you are right (or wrong, or whatever).