[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

Thu Dec 12 12:19:26 UTC 2013
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 12/13/2013 01:04 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:03:55AM +1300, Peter wrote:
>> On 12/12/2013 11:05 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>>

>> The core group includes NetworkManager and postfix, neither should be
>> core packages and should be excluded from a core or minimal install.
>
> Fedora, and RedHat, apparently feel that NetworkManager is the way to go.
> As I never use it, I'm not sure if they ever fixed the fact that it can't
> handle bridges. To me (and I admit I'm an aging grouch), it's the sort of
> thing that RH has a bad habit of doing, taking things that aren't
> necessarily bad for something like Fedora, aimed at a single user laptop,
> and putting it into their system which is often used as a server.
>
> (One can argue about Fedora's use case, but judging from their forums, and
> the various changes that have come over the years, I feel that most of
> its developers are thinking of a single user laptop.)
>
> Somewhere in the release notes, it states that system-config-network is
> being removed in favor of some NetworkManager cli tool.

Right, but core should be just the bare minimum.  NetworkManager is
certainly not required to configure your network, in fact el7 runs just
fine without it.  Just set your ifcfg-eth0 scripts, etc, and you're good
to go.

I found that I can exclude NM and postfix when group installing core
from yum and it works just fine.

Peter