[CentOS] thunderbird-24.2.0-2.el5 is borked

Tue Dec 17 13:06:44 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/16/2013 10:21 AM, Lars Hecking wrote:
>> Try to export your calendars and import them on a fresh install, see if
>> the problem persists.
>  Don't think I can do that with Exchange calendars.
>
>  Anyway, the CentOS6 version works fine, even coming from a 17.x profile, so
>  there definitely is a problem with the CentOS5 version.

There are 2 known issues in the CentOS-5.10 version that work in the
CentOS-6.5 version ... both these issues also exist in RHEL-5.10 (so
they need to be fixed upstream):

1.  The mozilla compiled lightning uses a newer glibc than is available
in EL5 ... therefore it will not work with the EL5 Thunderbird.  There
is a thunderbird-lightning package in EPEL testing for EL5
(thunderbird-lightning-2.6.4-1.el5.x86_64.rpm) that should address this
issue.  The upstream mozilla compiled plugin works for EL6.  Here is the
EL5 x86_64 link to download:

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/testing/5/x86_64/

(Or install EPEL and turn on the testing repo and install
thunderbird-lightning)

2. External http, https, and ftp Links may not work from thunderbird:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43984

Specifically, if you modify the following options to true:

network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.https

Then when clicking on a link, add this as the initial path:

/usr/lib64/thunderbird/open-browser.sh

(or /usr/lib/thunderbird/open-browser.sh if you are using the i386 arch)

Then it will work as expected.

Again, both of these issues also exist in RHEL-5.10 so need to be
addressed upstream for a final fix.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes