[CentOS] Virtual Machine converted from physical : Kernel Panic at boot .

Wed Dec 18 00:55:28 UTC 2013
Eric Michaelis <combinare at gmail.com>

On 12/17/2013 2:06 PM, Gregory Machin wrote:
> I deleted the directories and recreated as above but no luck.

In similar conversions I've done in the past, I've found that the server
I've converted from is using a different SCSI driver that isn't
compatible with the VMware virtual SCSI devices.

I assume you're booting from ISO into the rescue environment to check
the things that have already been suggested. When you do, does the
installer find the existing Linux installation and mount it correctly?
If so, try:

1. Boot from an ISO into the rescue environment and have the installer
mount your system on /mnt/sysimage

2. Bind mount the /dev and /proc filesystems into the recovered image:

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc

3. chroot to your installed system:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

4. Save your existing initrd, just in case:

mv /boot/initrd-KERNELVERSION.img /boot/initrd-KERNELVERSION.img.save

5. Create a new initrd:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-KERNELVERSION.img KERNELVERSION

6. Exit out of the rescue environment, reboot, and hope for the best..