[CentOS] Why I get this message " You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root " ?

Thu Dec 19 18:36:12 UTC 2013
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 09:56:36AM -0800, Keith Keller wrote:

> You can disable the message with biff n (IIRC).  You can also redirect
> root's (future) mail to a user mailbox by modifying /etc/aliases and
> running newaliases when done.  (That will not do anything with mail
> already delivered to root.)

man bash; "Shell Variables"

       MAILCHECK
	      Specifies how often (in seconds)	bash  checks  for  mail.   The
	      default  is  60 seconds.	When it is time to check for mail, the
	      shell does so before displaying the  primary  prompt.   If  this
	      variable	is  unset,  or	set  to	 a  value that is not a number
	      greater than or equal to zero, the shell disables mail checking.

	      							John
--
As I approve of a youth that has something of the old man in him, so am I
no less pleased with an old man that has something of the youth.  He that

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)