[CentOS] Dell unofficial community repository - what do you think?

Mikael Fridh frimik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:27:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am currently gathering information about firmware update on Dell
> PowerEdge machines.
> I've found
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware-tools_announcement
> and
> https://linux.dell.com/repo/community/
> It is an unofficial, community supported repository.

Depending on your hardware you will have support here:
http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/hardware

I create a local mirror via rsync and use for all the Dell servers.

> What are your experiences: should I perform firmware updates the
> traditional way by downloading *.bin packages from Dell and run them
> manually or should I use this repo? Is this repo "safe" and releases
> stable packages?

I'm usually fine with the hardware repo above unless I need something
really new (some versions that's not yet released in the firmware repo
as rpms).

--
Mikael