[CentOS] weird issue with qemu-kvm network...

skull

skull17 at gmx.ch
Fri Feb 1 22:29:34 UTC 2013

Hello CentOS mailinglist
I am running CentOS 6.3 with qemu-kvm and libvirt.
I was experimenting with bridged VM networking. Usually the VMs run over
the network device virbr0.
So i created a new bridge with brctl and added my eth0 to that bridge.
Not touching virbr0 or it's configuration at all.
Then i edited the configuration xml from my VM with 'virsh edit vmname'.
After that i decided to restart my server, basically just to 'reset' my
network. I know, that's not necessary. But it's easier than risking
connection loss and having to get physical access to the server ;)

After the restart my virbr0 network device was gone!
cat /var/log/dmesg | grep virbr0 returned nothing.
cat /var/log/messages | grep virbr0 brought up nothing aswell.

I tried to reinstall all relevant packages with
yum reinstall qemu-kvm python-virtinst virt-top virt-viewer libvirt
libvirt-client libvirt-python qemu-kvm-tools

But with no success :(

Does anyone have an idea how to recreate the default virbr0?
Is it doable via virsh? I don't have a DE installed on this server, so
no virtual-manager. I am willing to go that far if it's worth it though.