[CentOS] skype not starting anymore, prelink issue?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Feb 4 09:23:42 UTC 2013

Hello Yves,

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 08:08:20 -0500 Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
wrote:

> On Friday 01 February 2013, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > This point has already been answered on this mailing list (and
> > elsewhere). A bit of search in the archives and elsewhere would
> > quickly bring you this:
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype
>
> I'm very familiar with that document. :-) And many users, including
> myself, couldn't get Skype 4.1 to work on CentOS 64 bits using those
> instructions.
>
> If Skype 4.1 did work on your 64-bit system, I'm very interested in
> knowing the details; you can contact me directly if you wish.
>
> (Skype 4.0 does work; in your initial post, you said that 4.1.0.20 used
> to work on your system, but no longer does.)

Got skype 4.1 to work again here, just unpacked the binary archive over
the existing files, don't know what went broken or how..

FYI, I've made a list of the packages showing from a `ldd skype`, this
may indicate what you need to install, at least (here: CentOS6.3 up-to-date,
epel repo enabled):

 alsa-lib-1.0.22-3.el6.i686
 dbus-libs-1.2.24-7.el6_3.i686
 expat-2.0.1-11.el6_2.i686
 flac-1.2.1-6.1.el6.i686
 fontconfig-2.8.0-3.el6.i686
 freetype-2.3.11-14.el6_3.1.i686
 glib2-2.22.5-7.el6.i686
 glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.7.i686
 keyutils-libs-1.4-4.el6.i686
 krb5-libs-1.9-33.el6_3.3.i686
 libasyncns-0.8-1.1.el6.i686
 libcom_err-1.41.12-12.el6.i686
 libgcc-4.4.6-4.el6.i686
 libICE-1.0.6-1.el6.i686
 libogg-1.1.4-2.1.el6.i686
 libpng-1.2.49-1.el6_2.i686
 libselinux-2.0.94-5.3.el6.i686
 libSM-1.1.0-7.1.el6.i686
 libsndfile-1.0.20-5.el6.i686
 libstdc++-4.4.6-4.el6.i686
 libuuid-2.17.2-12.7.el6_3.i686
 libvorbis-1.2.3-4.el6_2.1.i686
 libX11-1.3-2.el6.i686
 libXau-1.0.5-1.el6.i686
 libxcb-1.5-1.el6.i686
 libXcursor-1.1.10-2.el6.i686
 libXext-1.1-3.el6.i686
 libXfixes-4.0.4-1.el6.i686
 libXi-1.3-3.el6.i686
 libXinerama-1.1-1.el6.i686
 libXrandr-1.3.0-4.el6.i686
 libXrender-0.9.5-1.el6.i686
 libXScrnSaver-1.2.0-1.el6.i686
 libXtst-1.0.99.2-3.el6.i686
 libXv-1.0.5-1.el6.i686
 openssl-1.0.0-25.el6_3.1.i686
 pulseaudio-libs-0.9.21-14.el6_3.i686
 pulseaudio-libs-glib2-0.9.21-14.el6_3.i686
 sqlite-3.6.20-1.el6.i686
 tcp_wrappers-libs-7.6-57.el6.i686
 zlib-1.2.3-27.el6.i686

Of course there may have indirect dependencies, but yum would tell you
that in time.

Important: I also have a full Qt 4.7 32-bit in /usr/lib/qt47, on which
my installed skype version depends on:
 libphonon.so.4
 libQtCore.so.4
 libQtDBus.so.4
 libQtGui.so.4
 libQtNetwork.so.4
 libQtWebKit.so.4
 libQtXml.so.4

I was not sure if I got this specific Qt version installed for
GuitarPro6 (commercial) or skype, but my LD_LIBRARY_PATH points
to that dir and it can't using the Qt 4.6 or 4.8 versions installed
locally (install from one of those repositories: base, epel, rpmforge,
puias, atrpms).

For this Qt47, I downloaded the following RPMs:
 phonon-backend-gstreamer-4.7.2-1_18.el6.i686.rpm
 qt47-4.7.2-1_18.el6.i686.rpm
 qt47-config-4.7.2-1_18.el6.i686.rpm
 qt47-webkit-4.7.2-1_18.el6.i686.rpm
 qt47-x11-4.7.2-1_18.el6.i686.rpm

And installed *manually* their contents to /usr/lib/qt47.

This also requires tweaking a bit in /usr/lib/qt47/bin and /usr/bin
(it's safe towards system Qt versions, it's just about fixing the missing q* qt47 apps and making correct symlinks isolated in /usr/lib/qt47/bin):
See my /usr/lib/qt47/bin contents:
 qdbus -> ../../../bin/qdbus-qt47
 qdbusviewer -> ../../../bin/qdbusviewer-qt47
 qmlviewer -> ../../../bin/qmlviewer-qt47
 qtconfig -> ../../../bin/qtconfig-qt47
 qtconfig-qt47 -> ../../../bin/qtconfig-qt47

Let me know if you succeed or still miss something!

Regards,

--
wwp