[CentOS] Multiple Virtual SSL sites with Apache httpd on CentOS 5

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:35:34 UTC 2013

On 4 February 2013 14:20, Harold Pritchett <harold at uga.edu> wrote:

> On 2/3/2013 11:47 PM, Bent Terp wrote:
> > So my advice is to use a wildcard domain covering *.mycompany.com - but
> remember that mycompany.com does not match *.mycompany.com, so you'll
> need a redirect to
> > www.mycompany.com.... BR Bent PS Just realised that we did this on nginx
> not apache, but I really don't expect that to be a problem.
> I should have mentioned that wild cards are not an option.  I need to
> support multiple names with absolutely nothing in common.  It's sorta like
>
> www.mynethost.com
> www.gotch.net
> www.somewhere.else.org
>
> you get the idea.

If you can use a single cert for these (ie owned by the same entity) you
could in principle use SubjectAltNames in a single cert to cover these and
use that same cert on each site - no wildcard is then required...

If you need to use different certs (ownership reasons and so on) then SNI
will work on a single IP - but just be aware of the limitations (all the
WinXP clients for example) ... especially if these are public sites.