[CentOS] recent ruby packages?

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Mon Feb 4 21:46:36 UTC 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 1:40 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> use RPM packages, Google 'enterprise ruby' and install it (it's Ruby
>> 1.8.7) It's not likely to get any more updates though. If you get off the
>
> Sorry, can't do that. As I believe I mentioned, they formerly required the
> 1.8.7 enterprise version, not the packaged version.
----
enterprise ruby - clearly the best version of ruby 1.8.7 available anywhere and is available in RPM form.

http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/
----
>> need to have RPM packages, both rbenv & rvm install an alternate that
>> downloads ruby source and compiles it for you and gives you sufficient
>> shell modifications to make it appear somewhat seamless (I'm not promising
>> the world here but it's not that difficult and my work has some CentOS 5.x
>> still running enterprise-ruby-1.8.7 and everything newer has been Ubuntu
>> 10.04 and either uses enterprise-ruby for 1.8.7 (becoming rare these days)
>> and all new setups are rbenv and ruby 1.9.3-pXXX
>
> Could you tell me what other, widely-used languages that don't have their
> most recent stable versions in packages for the most-used distros? I'm not
> aware of any.
> Why is it that they don't package it?
----
shouldn't you be asking this of upstream? They're the ones who choose which versions to include.
----

> I see, with a little googling, that it seems to be mostly ruby promoters
> arguing it can scale, and a lot of everyone else being aware of issues.
> And *I* have issues with it - it reminds me of python, 10-12 years ago,
> when each subrelease would break code that was working fine. IIRC, when I
> went to get a newer python required by one package I wanted to use, it
> broke yum on RH 7.3 or 9, something like that, and ruby seems to be like
> that.
>
> AND I can't just rsync our internal repo with the latest volume, it looks
> like I'll have to build it separately on each machine - I mean, if it
> needs compiling....
----
rbenv and rvm have wonderful mechanisms for downloading & building ruby and even allow you multiple versions on the same computer running at the same time. The simplification of the process is quite complete.

Of course you wouldn't understand these things because you made up your mind a long time ago.

Craig