[CentOS] recent ruby packages?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Feb 5 16:47:31 UTC 2013

James Szinger wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> As I keep noting, many perl CPAN packages are available as rpms - I
>> know, since my manager prefers we not build any from CPAN unless it's
a) not
>> available from a trusted repository as an rpm, and b) actually required
>> by a developer. As an rpm, of course, if there's an update, it'll get
taken
>> care of the next update we do; otherwise, we have to remember which of
>> our 150 or so systems has what that has to be built.
>
> You should check out cpanspec, available from EPEL, which makes it easy to
> package CPAN modules into RPMs.  Well-behaved modules are nearly trivial
> and the Fedora Packing Guideline help make sane packages out of the more
> complicated modules.  Then build with mock and put the RPM into a local
> repository and manage with yum.  You might need to iterate a few time to
> satisfy all the dependencies, but that's a one-time deal.

Why do I want to do that? I have enough systems to update, and I *try* to
do it regularly, but most have unique requirements (say, the compute
clusters, or the systems that the *one* project built in ruby uses). I'd
much rather use yum update to deal with packages that the CentOS team,
following on upstream themselves, have vetted, and have a very high
probability of *not* breaking things.
<snip>
Of course I've used CPAN, and have done it on request, for very specific
software that someone wanted, with my manager's approval, because we
*don't* want to have to have a larger laundry list than we have.  I like
CPAN... but I like yum update better.

      mark