[CentOS] OT - odd behavior of Cisco switch

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:37:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Have you actually configured the switch, or did you just plug it in and
>> get running?
>
> Unfortunately, *we* don't control these switches. They're from the
> networking division, which actually controls networking throughout the
> campus. We've had them in, they claim they looked at the switches
> remotely, and everything's wonderful.... We'll see what happens next week,
> when I do the next offline backups.
>
> Btw, we are on our own VLAN. The switch is on it.

Is the traffic in question to something directly connected to this
switch and just appearing mirrored to the wrong port or perhaps
broadcast to all of them?   Or is the actual destination on some other
switch where this one shouldn't even be in the path?   If you want to
track the problem down you need to look backwards from the target and
figure out why the switches in between did not learn the correct path.
 It is not likely to be related to the traffic bandwidth unless some
intermediate link is flooded to the point that nothing works.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com