[CentOS] Disabling the shutdown buttons in graphical login screen of CentOS 6.3

Andrea*s Jackie Klaura andreas.klaura at univie.ac.at
Tue Feb 12 15:12:08 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 02:51 PM, Andrea*s Jackie Klaura wrote:
[snip]

> The problem:
> * I have to somehow deactivate the "Suspend", "Restart" and "Shutdown"
> options in the login screen.
> * This has to be done in CLI mode, as I have to change this on many machines
>
> Tried out solutions:
> * As far as I could figure out gdm-simple-greeter would be the programm
> I'd have to tweak. But changing options in /etc/gdm/custom.conf does not
> change anything (as if this file would be ignored).
> * Another thing would be to set the
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons option to true through
> gconftool-2. But this option also seems to be ignored. Several posts on
> the web point to this being a bug which is fixed in RHEL but not CentOS.
> * I also tried to limit access to all the poweroff, reboot and halt
> commands through pam.d so that only root would be allowed to shutdown.
> This did not work either.
> * I even tried to rename the /sbin/reboot command (and therefore
> deactivate all the different links pointing to it). Still clicking the
> buttons still lead to a shutdown (although at some point it got stuck,
> but the system was not reachable any more).

[snip]

solved.

sorry to have bothered you, but somehow setting the gconf key
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons does work.

as i looked over it once more with a colleague setting it as mandatory
did work. i don't know what is different, because i was sure i did do
that before. but well, so far it worked on several systems.

so sorry to bother you all with that.

in any case someone else stumbles upon this problem, my actual solution
now is rather simple:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf \
/gconf.xml.mandatory -t bool -s /apps/gdm/simple-greeter \
/disable_restart_buttons true

cheers,
jackie

--