[CentOS] No more support for chrome/chromium on rhel6

Gé Weijers ge at weijers.org
Tue Feb 12 18:20:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> I tried building Chromium in the past for EL6 and I gave up as it was
> too difficult for me. Of course someone else might succeed in doing so,
> but even in that case, for how long can he/she keep up with backporting
> updates and so on?

It would not be 'backporting' if you'd set up a build environment that uses
a newer GCC and GTK2 library, and statically link against the newer GTK2.
That's a bit of a pain for release engineering, but it's not rocket
science. RHEL6/C6 (and Ubuntu 10.04) desktops are probably a tiny fraction
of Google's user base, so they just may not want to expend the effort.

Alternatively, one could do something tricky like make a special build of
newer GTK2 libraries built with the newer GCC, and make Chrome load them in
stead of the regular ones.

--
Gé