[CentOS] A question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Feb 13 01:04:16 UTC 2013

On 2/12/2013 4:51 PM, Bassem Sossan wrote:
> I'm beginner with Linux...
> I have found a good resource, it's a book called "Beginning Red Hat Linux
> 9"...
> the centos's version that I've installed "centos 6"...
> Is this book may be compatible with Centos 6 ?

not really.

Red Hat Linux is ancient.  9 was the short lived final version, in
2003.  after RHL 9 came RH Enterprise Linux 2.1, then RHEL 3, then 4, 5,
and now RHEL 6, which is rebuilt as CentOS 6.

so that book is describing a version of linux that is from 10 years ago,
an eternity in computer software evolution.   the most basic usermode
shell commands will be somewhat the same.