[CentOS] A question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Feb 13 15:46:33 UTC 2013

David G. Miller wrote:
> John R Pierce <pierce at ...> writes:
>> On 2/12/2013 4:51 PM, Bassem Sossan wrote:
>> > I'm beginner with Linux...
>> > I have found a good resource, it's a book called "Beginning Red Hat
>> > Linux 9"... the centos's version that I've installed "centos 6"...
>> > Is this book may be compatible with Centos 6 ?
>>
>> not really.
>>
>> Red Hat Linux is ancient.
> <SNIP>
> I started with Red Hat Linux 5 in 1998.  Mind your manners when calling
> RHL 9 ancient or I'll come over and hit you with my walker.

That's "tease me about my age, and I'll beat you with my cane". <g> And
RH9 was fine - that's what I ran on my firewall/router box for *years*,
with few updates.

> Advice to OP: Don't spend much money on treeware books about Linux in
> general or CentOS in particular.  The technology moves fast enough that
> the book will be obsolete in six months to a year.

Yup, it's a problem. However, most stuff really doesn't change, if you're
looking at administering it, or working on it (except for N33t k3wl
GUIs....).

> I work best with real books because I can easily dog-ear, underline,
>  highlight, mark, etc. so I understand liking a real book.

Book molester!

> If you really want to have a real book, take the time to visit a local
> book store that has a decent selection of technical books and page
> through some of the books there to see which author's style fits you.
> If you can afford it, spend the money and support your local book store.
<snip>
And, of course, almost anything published by O'Reilly is going to be
somewhere between good and really good: well-written, knowledgeable, and
reliable.

     mark "not getting a kickback from them, really!"