[CentOS] pcl to pdf

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Thu Feb 14 01:37:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
> 2013/2/14 Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net>:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I am currently using a vsifax program (pcltotiff) to convert pcl files
>> to tiff files on a SCO Unix box, and then I am using tiff2pdf on a
>> Centos 5.9 box to convert the file to a pdf.
>>
>> There are other commands that deal with multiple page tiff's and pdf's
>> that are part of the process, but the above basic process has worked
>> very well.  The only thing I would like to enhance is a better
>> resolution of the tif file and therefore the pdf file; the problem being
>> the resolution capability of pcltotiff that comes with vsifax.  I am
>> limited on the SCO box as to what I can install; it is too old to admit
>> to, and is scheduled to be upgraded to a new Centos system.
>>
>> Obviously, I can get the pcl file to the Centos system easily, do any of
>> you have suggestions of being able to convert a pcl file to pdf on the
>> Centos system.
>
> GhostPCL might work: http://www.ghostscript.com/GhostPCL.html
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=88464
>
> "I've just been tackling the same issue - PCL pre-formatted print jobs
> which I can save as files and then want to convert to PDF for email
> purposes.
>
> I seem to have found the solution with Ghostscript GhostPCL
>
> http://www.ghostscript.com/awki/GhostPCL
>
> I downloaded version ghostpcl_1.41p1.tar.bz2 (problems experienced
> with the latest version on FC5). The README was a little confusing and
> I finished up running:
>
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> then tested with:
> pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=laser.pdf laser.pcl
>
> laser.pdf opens fine with acroread but I seem to have a minor issue
> with paper size (I use A4 as my standard size & pcl6 seems to use US
> Letter as the default). Still, early days yet and I am very impressed
> with the results so far!"
>
> --
> Eero

I hadn't heard of this app... why did you choose this. For a fax
server i thought Hylafax was a good choice. I use efax but that's home
use, and from cli rather than the front end efax-gtk.

james

James,

The SCO Unix box is a real legacy system, and vsifax was the only fax
server that we could use at the time.  When we convert the SCO Unix
system over to Centos we plan to look at Hylafax, but I have no
experience with it at this point.  However, if we can not find a pcl
converter that gives us a decent resolution of the pdf file, we may have
to purchase and do new install of vsifax on the new Centos machine in
order to use vsifax's pcltotiff converter.

Greg