[CentOS] I want an advice

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 14 15:07:14 UTC 2013

James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Wed, February 13, 2013 17:48, Bassem Sossan wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I've changed from Ms Windows 2008 R2 to CentOS 6 recently, and
>> there are many aspects to learn in relation to command line
>> ( Bash scripting, package system managing, file system and so on )...
>>
>> I need to apply as much as I can of Network Infrastructure knowledge
>> ( DNS, DHCP and Virtualization .... ) concepts using CentOS 6
>> GUI...
>>
>> I know that I must learn dealing with linux using command tools
>> and that will come, but it has much more of time, so, Am I forced
>> as a learner to follow command line tools before going to GUI or I
>> can get a good knowledge and experience by implementing my skills
>> on GUI  ?
>>
>> So sorry to pothering....

There's already a lot of GUI built into every desktop. Have you looked at
them?
<snip>
> it.  The CLI of the underlying utilities is the final arbitrator of
> course and there 'man <utility_name>' is your ever-present friend
> (usually).  Nonetheless, the syntax of even the most common *nix
> commands is often arcane and similar utilities frequently have such
> subtly different variations that ones mind is sometimes driven to
> distraction with the inconsistencies.

I keep hearing this "arcane" - even the author of xkcd commented about not
remembering tar flags... and yet, 80%-90% of them are trivially obvious to
me - -r (or -R) for recursion, -f for file. For configuration, such as
firewalls, there's always copy an existing line and edit, then do a syntax
check.

     mark "but then, I also spent decades as a programmer"