[CentOS] motherboard for cents 6.3

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:16:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:

> Seems like overnight every motherboard that worked with linux has
> DROPPED off
> the face of the earth.
>
> Every motherboard I looked at is using the realtek 8111 chipset and a
> northbridge
> that is not supported.

Most hardware I work on has Broadcom or Intel chipsets.
Intel is the way to go if you're buying new.
(Well except for the EEPROM bug caused by some equipment manufacturers [4],
which isn't Intel's fault per se.)

Looks like fun:  [0] [1] [2] [3]

Driver that is included in vanilla Linux kernel is actually a driver for a
different network adapter, but works with 8111E too. Sort of works. Realtek
made new official driver that fixes the problem, but disables the old
driver. Which could be a problem for you if you have RTL8169/8110 and
RTL8168/81111. [2]

[0]
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/no-network-detected-realtek-8111-8168-issue-615047/
[1] http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=80757
[2] http://www.twm-kd.com/linux/realtek-rtl81688111e-and-ubuntu-linux/
[3]
http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/the-pain-of-an-realtek-rtl8111rtl8168-ethernet-card/
[4] http://blog.krisk.org/2013/02/packets-of-death-update.html

> Example: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3, does not work with linux
> I tried disabling the onboard NIC and using a PCI-E intel card I always use
> and that would not work either. The north or south bridge is messing
> with the network card.
> The card asks for a PXE boot but after centos starts it can no longer
> find kickstart files, network
> is messed up.
>
> I was using Asus M5A88-M and they are no longer available.
>
> Anyway - anyone have a suggestion for and AMD motherboard that works with
> linux be great if it has onboard video (gaming is not needed), onboard
> network,
> SATA nothing super special just "working".
>
> Thanks,
>
> jerry

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //