[CentOS] A question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 14 18:38:47 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> On the other hand, if you wrote a perl program following those
>>> examples, it would almost certainly still run today, with the only
>>> change it might need being to escape @ symbols that you had in
>>> double-quoted strings. That's pretty rare.
>>
>> Well, yes. And I can do the same with my favorite language of all, ANSI
>> C.
>
> Umm, yeah - now.  In 1987 when perl was released you'd have been using
> K&R C which needed some changes when compilers started demanding the
> syntax from the ANSI changes.  Or worse, some compiler with it's own
> unique syntax.

True... but in '87, I was still on mainframes, and using *GAG* DOS/VSE/SP
(and whatever letters have been added since). I didn't get to use C until
'89, and perl... no one had heard of it were I was working in TX until
about '92 or '93.

Yes, I did start with K&R, and have my copy of the Bible (K&R, ANSI
version). Syntax on languages shouldn't change, anyway....

        mark