[CentOS] OT: UPS battery vendor, cont'd

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Feb 14 23:48:00 UTC 2013

On 2/14/2013 11:41 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Tom Bishop wrote:
>> >Mark did you look at atbatt.com, I have been looking recently and they are
>> >ones that I have been looking to go with, not sure if they do GSA
>> >though...
> Just looked at them. They're about half-way between full APC prices and
> the discounters I've been looking at. They do have a page about
> organizational purchases, but no GSA.

do be sure you're comparing pears with pears and not apples with oranges.

serious UPS's are supplied with high discharge rate UPS certified VRLA
batteries, which are NOT the same as the typical cheaper VRLA's you'll
find at a discounter, intended for use as burglar alarm etc batteries.
standard VRLA batteries are usually specified by their voltage and
amp*hour rating for a 20 hour discharge rate, while UPS batteries use
Watts at a 10 minute discharge rate.

example:  Panasonic LC-R127R2P is a standard VRLA 12V 7.2AH (at 20 hour
rate) battery, thats rated at a 0.36 amp discharge rate. UP-VW1245P1 is
the high discharge rate UPS version, rated at 268 watts (45 watts per
cell) for 10 minutes, which is about 3.5 amp hours at a 22 amp discharge
rate.      these two batteries are physically equivalent in size, weight.

yes, you can use the regular ones in your UPS and save a bundle.  I have
a old(!) SmartUPS 2000 powering my home network, loaded with 4 x
LC1220P's (12V 20AH).   My total load on this UPS is only like 500
watts, so it will last for HOURS during extended power failures (winter
storms, typically).   I wouldn't want to pull 2000VA out of this, however.